ExternalDB was created for internal use at HORIZONSolutions.tv and mkali.net to overcome a simple yet common problem - how to connect to an external database, or multiple external databases, for multiple components / plugins / modules without having to duplicate the connection details again and again.
It's a Tool we use
We created a plugin, ExternalDB, which allowed us to set these connection details once and get on with it! Because of the kind of work we do we often have to query multiple databases to retrieve things like tournament information, player rankings and other such things that can't be moved into the local dataset as you would want to in these situations.
It's such a useful tool to us know that we install it with nearly every Joomla! deployment that we do.
|What it Does do
||What it Does Not do
- Allow you to add external database connections into your components, plugin and modules
- Control database connection details site-wide for all the components / modules / plugins that use ExternalDB
- Set up multiple connections to multiple databases
- It does not make other 3rd party components work with external databases without modification
- It does not allow Joomla! to run off another database
- It does not allow connections to non-MySQL databases
Download plg_externaldb.zip and install it on your Joomla! 1.5 site now.